Position: Weekend Educator, Birthday Parties & Special Events
Location: North Salem, NY
- Carry out educational programming in keeping with our Mission. Outreach programming includes (but is not limited to) birthday parties, special event and library programming. Must be comfortable presenting to all ages and to small groups as well as large audiences of up to 200 individuals.
- Travel in Connecticut & New York states is required for outreach programming.
- Some assistance with animal care may be required with the care of animals at our headquarters in North Salem, NY. Provide care for small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, arachnids & insects. May include food preparation, feeding, cleaning, maintenance of the animal enclosures, general facility maintenance and careful record-keeping.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, major or course-work in zoology, biology, ecology, or related field.
- Education: 2-4 years education/teaching experience, with ability to present to both large & small groups, preferably with environmental education experience
- Animal Care: 1-2 years animal care and handling experience, preferably with exotic animals
- Ability to work Saturday and Sundays, with some evenings.
- Interest in and knowledge of local ecology and wildlife is a plus
LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY (Fairfield County, CT or Westchester County, NY or near either county).
- This position is not a typical office-based job. The working environment is fast-paced and work is labor intensive.
- Position is part-time, no benefits and typically 4-10 hours daily (Saturday & Sunday)
- Must be able to lift, carry and handle heavy objects.
- Must have own transportation
- Relocation not covered; local candidates preferred.
- Please email your cover letter & resume to Jennifer Balbes, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please clearly outline how you fulfill the required qualifications, either in your cover letter or in your resume. Please provide information about your animal care experience.
- No phone calls, please. We regret that we will be unable to acknowledge applications. We will be in contact should you be selected for an interview.
Animal Embassy is home to a diversity of rescued and adopted exotic animals. Animal Ambassadors enhance the presentation of a wide range of topics including diversity, biodiversity, adaptations, habitats, classifications, conservation and more. Animal Embassy has rescued or adopted more than 500 exotic animals over the years and currently maintains over 100 non-releasable animals, including small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, arachnids and insects.
Founded in 2002, Animal Embassy is dedicated to the rescue & adoption of exotic animals, to environmental education and to fostering an individual’s appreciation and respect for the natural world. We specialize in providing hands-on, interactive, and entertaining, educational experiences.